Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Brave New World of Medical Technology



Lucky me, I have a pacemaker.  Actually, very lucky as when I was fifty four I was running around the office one day, feeling a little dizzy, but going about my business, preparing to get on an overseas flight to the Frankfurt Bookfair, and my wise wife forced me to see my doctor before we departed (she was going with me). My doctor took an EKG and looked startled, saying that my heart was beating at only 30 BPM.  I should have passed out long ago and he wondered how I was able to get through the day.  So I said, isn't there a pill I can take, I have to be in Frankfurt tomorrow. He replied, the only place you're going is to the ER.  Had I gotten on that plane, ignoring the symptom, I was told I would have died.  So, lucky me, indeed.

After ER, I was admitted to the cardiac unit and they thought I had an advanced form of Lyme Disease, which can attack the heart's electrical conduction system. I was put on heavy duty antibiotics and meanwhile they warned me that if my heartbeat dropped below 30, I'd have to have a temporary pacemaker wired through my neck.  That evening a team of medical personal came bursting into my room, monitors beeping, indicating my heartbeat had dropped to 28-29.  Look, I said, I'm conscious.  Please don't put a temporary pacemaker in unless it drops further.  So they watched me that night and I was at least stable.

After almost a week of medical treatment, and no improvement of my condition, a cardiologist informed me they would be prepping me for a permanent pacemaker the following day.  They had no idea why, at my age, my electrical system was failing.  Lousy genes they speculated (a favorite explanation offered by medical personal when they have no clue). So, into the operating theater I was wheeled and was told I'd be sedated but hazily conscious as the surgeon would have to ask me questions as he placed the leads into the heart.  A representative of the pacemaker manufacturer was present and I remember he and the surgeon joking during the procedure.  The surgeon said this is a piece of cake as he's relatively young and in good shape so I piped up, I ought to qualify for a discount then!  Fat chance he replied.

In any case, I have lived with a pacemaker, now, for sixteen years.  Actually, I'm now on my third such device as when the battery runs low, it's not like replacing a couple of double A's.  A new pacemaker has to be inserted in my chest. 

I know, it's an awful looking picture, but that's what my chest looked like five days after getting the last one.  It actually looks worse than it felt.

My third generation pacemaker is high tech.  The older devices needed monitoring, usually in the cardiologist's office.  But now the monitoring is done remotely, as the pacemaker transmits the information wirelessly to a receiver that sits by our bed, one that is plugged into our phone system, and it dials out the data as I sleep.  Every three months if does a "pacemaker interrogation" the same one I had in the office and transmits the data (it will also send data immediately if it detects any serious irregularity such as a ventricular tachycardia).  Our phone system is now digital, so the information goes out via our cable company's broadband.

But wait, more high tech.  Our telephone answering service is provided by the cable company as well; not only are messages recorded, they are transcribed using voice recognition, and then sent to me via email.

And yesterday I received the following email:

From: Voice Services@-------.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:04 PM
Subject: You have a new Voicemail

    "Hello this is your implanted cardiac device clinic calling to let you know we received your follow up data and it looks normal. We look forward to your next appointment. Thank you and goodbye."

Thus, from an implanted pacemaker with a computer chip transmitting on a proprietary band, to a receiver that dials out via broadband to a computer that analyzes the data and, if normal, then places an automated call which is recorded and then transcribed via voice recognition, finally being emailed back to me.  A full circle without human interaction!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.....Arthur C. Clarke

But there are serious issues with all this technology, both positive and negative.  My pacemaker is transmitting at all times.  Anyone within 10 feet knowing the frequency and having the right equipment, in a public place, can have access to the data which raises privacy issues.  I have no problem with that but it also means that same person would have the ability to reset or even disable the pacemaker.  Pacemaker (and implantable cardioverter-defibrillator) manufactures say that is nearly impossible, but it seems to me that almost any "techno-magic" is feasible today.

Thinking more macro-medical technology, we have the ability to build a national database of medical information, at least for Medicare recipients, that would obviate the endless duplication of medical record keeping for the same patient at multiple health care facilities and doctors' offices.  Again, privacy issues have been a stumbling block, but imagine the significant cost savings (and improvement of data accuracy).  I have less concern about the privacy issues than I do about rising health costs and the burden it puts on taxpayers.  Surely there is a techno-magic means of satisfactorily addressing the matter.